Tuesday Tales...What Makes Us an Us?






Ahoy Fellow Fathomers! It's time for Tuesday Tales.
A group of writers gather together and give our interpretation of a specific word prompt each week. Once per month, we even write to an image. This week, we write to an image.  This will be an excerpt from my new WIP for a new romance contemporary.

Enjoy







Could we pick things back up?  I wanted clear air, forgiveness established, you know?”
“Of course, silly me, skipping ahead a few chapters, assuming too much. It’s not a party till Lola puts her foot in her mouth.” Shooting out in rapid fire succession, I couldn’t stop talking. Glumly, I realized, you really can’t put the toothpaste back into the tube. 
“You’ve always worked best without a filter. I knew where I stood.” Marty smiled, patting my knee.
His hands. Oh, his hands, working down the buttons on my blouse- slowly unlooping each catch of the button in the hole. Memories filled my fingertips with the desire to touch his bare chest. Move your hands up my knee, across my thigh, up my tummy, I wanted him more than a tonic laced with gin. Common sense kicked in, returning my voice. “I really need to get going.”
Maybe he could sit with me right here and now, pretending our benefits never existed in friendship- I couldn’t. I loved this man, loved him hard. So hard I put him on the unattainable pedestal, a cherished, valuable diamond in the rough. Willing to look, not touching, for the sake of preserving his value. Keeping us frozen in time, our feelings sharp as ever, never fading. He could stay on my mantel, loving me the same, as I knew I would always love him.
“Lola? You’re a thousand miles away.”
Oh, shit, he saw me processing my good-bye. Think fast, lighten the mood. “Happy thoughts, reminiscing, you know?”
“Aside from everything, many of my favorite memories include you.”
“We’ll always have gelato.”
“Grilled lemonade…”
“Pho…”


“Food became the center of our lives, did we ever think about anything else?” Visits to our favorite café became more than routine, it made us an us.

Please visit us at our main site for more picture prompt interpretations Tuesday Tales Main Page



Comments

Love that last line. Well done.
V.L. Locey said…
That really is a great last line!
Layered-- love it. Great line about lacing with gin.
Trisha Faye said…
Great snippet Davee! Love how you feed us the inner thoughts going on.

Popular posts from this blog

Demise on Top of a Mountain...Blue Ink-Tuesday Tales

Tuesday Tales and Shades of Gray

Easter Blog Hop!!!